Year 5 Newsletter
Year 5 Spring Term Newsletter
We hope you have all enjoyed your winter break and are looking forward to coming back and learning about our new topics.
Our Theme focus for the term will be ‘Africa’, which will be linked to all areas across the curriculum, with our first Theme topic focusing on biomes across the world and atlas skills.
PE will continue to take place every Tuesday, so please make sure PE kits are in school at the start of every week. Please can you ensure that the PE kit they are provided with is black with a green top and is weather appropriate. At times, the timetable may need to change, so we ask children to ensure they have their PE kits in school at all times.
Alongside this, we will be continuing to develop our skills in the core areas of Reading, Writing and Numeracy, through a number of exciting activities, which will further consolidate and strengthen the skills we have learnt so far.
- In Literacy, we will be focusing on a variety of punctuation and writing for different purposes. This will be achieved through non-chronological reports, procedural texts and short tales, with a view of writing their own by the end of the unit.
- In Numeracy, we are starting a new area of the curriculum. We will begin with fractions, decimals and percentages.
- In PE, we will be learning different skills and techniques used in various team games.
- In Geography, our focus this term will be on locating continents, countries and cities from around the world, as well as comparing physical and human features such as biomes within the UK and Africa.
- In Guided Reading, we will continue to look at a variety of texts, which will cover a range and breadth, to support the children in developing their reading skills. We will be focusing on inference as the children begin to understand the author’s purpose.
Homework will continue to be handed out on Fridays and will need to be completed and handed in on the following Wednesday.
Spelling tests will take place on Wednesdays and the teachers will go through the Numeracy homework with the children to address any problems they may have had when they completed it.
Miss Lycett Miss O’Neill Miss Cracolici
Year 5 teachers